Saturday 14 March 2009

Hello Haiku

Baby blue petals
I have recently become interested in Haiku; it is a form of poetry that really appeals to my minimalistic sensibilities. For the uninitiated, there are many great websites that can explain what Haiku is and learning about it's origins is a pure delight.
Haiku is usually written in three lines consisting of five syllables on the first line, seven on the second line then five on the third line. (5-7-5) A Haiku should also be written in the present tense, it should encapsulate a raw experience that is very much in the 'here and now'. Traditionally, Haiku were composed in reverence or respect of nature. Here are several I have written today (I have also taken inspiration from some of my previous pieces of writing and reworked them into the Haiku form).

baby blue petals
awoken by the morning
illumination

the sun on my tongue
while I carry these flowers
to my mother's grave

stepping cautiously
lest I awaken daisies
that sleep underfoot

the moon loves the earth
caught in a gravity dance
around and around

the morning laughter
gently ushers me from sleep
hello dawn chorus

watch the bumble bee
as it flies across my grave
it will not sting you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment.